Nominees announced for the Sask Sport Inc. April Athlete of the Month Award
The following athletes are nominees for the Sask Sport Inc. April Athlete of the Month Award:
- Stuart Twardzik, 16, Debden. After winning gold at the Provincial Boxing Championships, Twardzik earned silver at the Cadet National Championships in Sarnia, Ontario. He will now compete at the Ringside Tournament in Kansas City in August, as well as the Western and Provincial Championships and the Canada Winter Games. Twardzik was nominated by Boxing Saskatchewan.
- Brittany Blair, 15, and W. Bryce Bartel, 17, Drake. Blair and Bartel are the first Saskatchewan Dance Team to medal at a national figure skating competition in 20 years. The team earned gold at the National StarSkate Championships in Ottawa, Ontario. Their performance has earned them a spot on the Skate Canada Saskatchewan First Team. The duo were nominated by Skate Canada Saskatchewan.
- Lucian Phillips, 32, Regina. Phillips earned gold medals in the 4th Degree Patterns and Hypre Weight Sparing events at the Can Am Taekwon-Do Championships in Quebec. Phillips will now compete at both the National Championships and the upcoming World Cup in Spain. He was nominated by Saskatchewan Taekwon-Do Federation International Inc.
- Team Saskatchewan Junior Wheelchair Basketball Team. The 12-member team led by Head Coach, Julien Gaudet, captured bronze at the Junior National Wheelchair Basketball Championships in Montreal, Quebec. The team will now be seeded third at the 2007 Jeux du Canada Games in Whitehorse. They were nominated by the Saskatchewan Wheelchair Sports Association.
- Kris Odegard, 26, Saskatoon. During his first competition as a member of Team Canada, Odegard earned gold in racquetball at the Pan-Am Championships in Guatemala City. A total of 100 athletes from 13 countries competed at the championships. His performance earned him the right to compete at the upcoming National and World Championships. Odegard was nominated by the Saskatchewan Racquetball Association.
- Jessica Guenther, 14, Saskatoon. Guenther captured four gold medals at the Western Canadian Synchro Championships in Edmonton, Alberta. She won the Figures event, Solo Routine, Solo Championship and the 16-and-over Championship title. She is currently ranked 1st in Canada in the Figures event, and will soon tryout for the 2006 National 13-15 Team. She was nominated by Synchro Saskatchewan.
The recipient will be named on Thursday. For more information contact Pat Rediger at (306) 780-9307 or email email@example.com
May 9, 2006