Nominees announced for Sask Sport Inc. July Athlete of the Month Award
The following athletes have been nominated for the Sask Sport Inc. July Athlete of the Month Award:
- Kendra Chernoff, 17, Saskatoon. As a member of Team Canada at the 2nd FINA World Junior Swimming Championships in Monterrey, Mexico, Chernoff won bronze in the women's 4X100 medley relay. She also won bronze in the 100 fly event at Senior Nationals in Winnipeg. Chernoff set six long course provincial records in the 15-17 and senior/open age categories. She was selected to represent Team Canada at the 2008 Olympic Trials and will also compete in the Inaugural Tri Nations Cup. Chernoff was nominated by Swim Saskatchewan Inc.
- Ilana Duff, 22, Bradwell. Duff competed in three events at the IWAS World Junior Championships in New Jersey, winning two gold medals and one silver. At Meet in the Heat in Atlanta, she won bronze in the 100m, breaking her personal best. She also won gold in each of her three races at the National Track and Field Championship. Duff will be participating in the Beijing Paralympic Games. She was nominated by Saskatchewan Wheelchair Sports Association.
- Kelsie Hendry, 26, Saskatoon. At the Canadian Track and Field Championships, Hendry won gold in women's pole vaulting with a jump of 4.30m. The championships also served as the Olympic Trials for the Beijing Olympic Games. Hendry's performance, along with her previous results this season, qualified her to represent Canada at the Olympics. This is Hendry's second consecutive year as the Canadian champion. She was nominated by Saskatchewan Athletics.
- Christine King, 17, Prince Albert. King won gold at both the Canadian Nationals Junior Air Pistol and Sport Pistol events held in Calgary, which qualified her to represent Canada at the upcoming Commonwealth Youth Games in India. She was also named to the Canadian National Junior Handgun Team. She was nominated by the Saskatchewan Handgun Association.
- Thomas Ostapowich, 17, Regina. Ostapowich placed first at the Canada Cup Junior Trials in Guelph and also won gold at the Pan American Wrestling Championships in El Salvador. As a result of these achievements, he will participate in the Commonwealth Youth Games in India. He was nominated by the Saskatchewan Amateur Wrestling Association.
- Fiona and Mike Vincent, Regina. The Vincent duo won gold at the Canadian Marathon Canoe Championships (C-2 Mixed) held in Enderby, B.C. At the same event, Mike won the Men's C-2 title with his partner, Ivan English. Fiona and her partner, Christina Wilson, won the Women's C-2 event. The duo continues to prepare for the World Master Games in Sydney. Fiona will also compete at Na Wahine O Ke Kai, the premier women's outrigger championships in Hawaii. The Vincents were nominated by Canoe Kayak Saskatchewan.
- Taryn Wicijowski, 17, Regina. Wicijowski participated as a member of the Canadian Junior Women's National Basketball Team in the FIBA Americas U18 Championships in Buenos Aires. The team placed second in the event, which qualified them to compete at the 2009 U19 World Championships in Thailand. She was nominated by Basketball Saskatchewan.
- Alexandra Wrubleski, 24, Regina. Wrubleski won her second Canadian National Cycling Road Race title in the 114 km event at the Tim Horton's Road Nationals in Quebec. As a result of this performance, she will compete at the Beijing Olympics in the Road Race. She also won bronze at the Canadian Nationals in the individual time trial, which qualified her to race at the Olympics in that event. Wrubleski was nominated by the Saskatchewan Cycling Association.
The recipient will be named next week. For more information contact Pat Rediger at (306) 780-9307 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For information regarding the Athlete of the Month Awards program, including previous nominees and recipients, visit www.sasksport.sk.ca/awards.php
Aug 7, 2008