Nominees announced for Sask Sport Inc. June Athlete of the Month Award
The following athletes have been nominated for the Sask Sport Inc. June Athlete of the Month Award:
- Julia Garnet, 16, Saskatoon. Although only 16 years old, Garnet was granted permission to race in the Tim Hortons Junior National Road Race (17 & 18 yrs) in Quebec, placing fifth in the individual time trial and ninth in the road race. Compared to other 16 year olds, she finished second in both races. Garnet also finished sixth overall at the Devon Grand Prix. She was nominated by the Saskatchewan Cycling Association.
- Lucas Baldo, 17, Saskatoon. At the Canadian Secondary Schools Rowing Association Championships, Baldo won the silver medal in the 72kg men's singles, and was fifth in the Junior National Team Trials. He also competed at the Regina Sprints with three 1st place finished in the Jm single, JM 2x, and LM single. Due to his achievements, Baldo will compete in the Prairie Championships in August, and the National Championships in October. He was nominated by the Saskatchewan Rowing Association.
- Shannon Comerford, 20, Saskatoon. Comerford won the gold medal in the women's foil individual events at the Junior Nationals, Senior Selection #1 competition, and Junior Team Nationals. She was also the captain of Team Saskatchewan at the Junior Team Nationals. The Sr. Selection Circuit is the first of two Canadian Competitions used to select athletes who will be allowed to enter Sr. World Cups, and used to select athletes of the Sr. National Team. She was nominated by the Saskatchewan Fencing Association.
- Ilana Duff, 22, Bradwell. A member of the Cyclones Road & Track Club, Duff competed at the US Paralympic Championships where she earned two bronze medals and two 5th place finishes. She also set a Canadian record in the 400m. Due to these achievements, Duff will compete at the Canadian Paralympic Championships in London, ON and has secured a spot on the Canadian team for the Beijing Paralympic games this August. Bradwell was nominated by the Saskatchewan Wheelchair Sports Association.
- Ralph Ibanez, 59, Saskatoon. Ibanez won all of his matches at the World Masters Championships to win the gold medal in the 55 - 60 age group in 66kg division. Due to this achievement, Ibanez will compete at the 2009 World Masters. He was nominated by Judo Saskatchewan.
The recipient will be named next week. For more information contact Pat Rediger at (306) 780-9307 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For information regarding the Athlete of the Month Awards program, including previous nominees and recipients, visit www.sasksport.sk.ca/awards.php
July 9, 2008