Nominees announced for Sask Sport Inc. May Athlete of the Month Award
The following athletes and teams have been nominated for the Sask Sport Inc. May Athlete of the Month Award:
- Ivan English, Saskatoon, and Mike Vincent, Regina. Vincent and English finished fifth at the 2009 International General Clinton Canoe Race, earning the top placing out of all Canadian teams in this year's competition. Due to their achievements, they will go on to compete at the 2009 Canadian Marathon Canoe Nationals and the 2009 International Canoe Race.
- Jessica Guenther, Saskatoon. At the 2009 Canadian Open Synchronized Swimming Championships, Guenther placed first out of 115 competitors in the Tier 7 Junior Figures and second out of 32 swimmers in the Tier 7 Junior Solo Event. Her second place finish at the recent 2009 Synchro Canada National Team Trials has qualified her to swim on the National Junior Team for 2009. She is the only swimmer from Western Canada to be selected to the team. In the upcoming academic year, Guenther will join Stanford University's prestigious Synchronized Swimming Team through an Athlete Scholarship.
- Eugene Hritzuk World Senior Men's Championship Team, Saskatoon, Humboldt, Wadena. Skip Eugene Hritzuk, Third Kevin Kalthoff, Second Verne Anderson, and Lead Dave Folk, won the 2009 World Senior Men's Curling Championship in Dunedin, New Zealand. The team finished the championship unbeaten with a 5-0 record, a game ahead of former champion Keith Prentice of Scotland.
- Kris Odegard, Saskatoon. Odegard captured his second Men's Open Singles Championship title at the 2009 Canadian Racquetball Championships held in Edmonton. He claimed the championship, his second in three years, by winning four matches and beating defending champion Mike Green of Hamilton. The scores in the best-of-three championship match were 16-14 and 17-15.
- Team Saskatchewan - Hockey. Team Saskatchewan women's hockey team won bronze at the 2009 National Aboriginal Hockey Championships, and also claimed the Canadian title at this level of competition. The team of 25 players includes: Naomi Albert, Courtney Belair, Daneesha Bigplume, Jayden Campbell, Shaylyn Cowan, Sydney Daniels, Felicia Dodginghorse, Brianna Fiddler, Jessica Gardipy, Giselle George, Jill George, Kirsten Goodwill, Chaylyn Johnson, Tami McKenzie, Kristen Morin, Callie Morris, Hanna Muskego, Chelsea Naytowhow, Jena Nichols, Tricia Stanley, Danny Stone, Shayna Thomas, Jenna Villeneuve, Ashley Wawyrk, and Brittany Apesis. Coaches are Shelley Lavallee, Mark Arcand, and trainer Breanne Acorn.
- Team Saskatchewan - Junior Men Handball. Saskatchewan's 13 member men's handball team captured silver at the 2009 Junior Canadian Handball Championships held in Regina this May. The team's silver medal has qualified them to compete at the 2010 Junior Canadian Handball Championships. The second place finish was the highest achievement any men's team from Saskatchewan has earned at the handball nationals since the tournament began in 1968. Team members include Patrick Wills, David Alport, Reagan Coppicus, Tyler Frank, Sean Phillips, Steve Schneider, Kyle Donsberger Taylor Bereti, Curtis Grainger, Mike Yule, Shane Kress, Hennque Carcereri, Brien Hamelin, and coaches Dan Frank and Brett Kress.
- Jason Warick, Saskatoon. Warick won a silver medal at the 2009 Canadian Marathon Championships in the men's marathon event. His performance of 2:24:24.7 placed him 12th overall in the international field. Due to his accomplishment, Warick has qualified to compete at the 2009 Francophone Games to be held in Lebanon this fall.
- Margaret (Meta) Woods, Regina. Woods competed in her fifth year as a Masters Competitive Swimmer at the 2009 Saskatchewan Short Course Masters Provincial Swim Meet. She holds five individual and two team provincial records in 25m Freestyle, 50m Freestyle, 25m Backstroke, 25m Butterfly, 4x25m Freestyle Relay, and 4x25m Medley Relay.
The recipient will be named next week. For more information contact Pat Rediger at (306) 780-9307 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For information regarding the Athlete of the Month Awards program, including previous nominees and recipients, visit www.sasksport.sk.ca/awards.php
June 11, 2009